Are you confident that you can always determine the trustworthiness of what you read on social media? What if you don’t know much about a topic? Can you still do it? Sign up to the decentralized chapters EUNOMIA social media platform (powered by Mastodon) and try to find out the 10 trustworthy and 10 untrustworthy posts that our mischievous researchers will inject (based on the researchers’ scientific expertise) in a discussion of decentralized technologies between 5th and 14th October. For this very specific period of time and only, your selections will be recorded centrally by us so that we determine who has got the most of these 20 correct by the end.
How to join our competition in two simple steps:
- Make an account here
- Log in
- Click on “Local” and wait a moment for the “I trust this”, “I don’t trust this” buttons to appear (might take a few moments because it’s still early version)
- Decide whether you “trust” or you “don’t trust” the posts clicking the respective icon.
You win points for correctly marking posts as trustworthy or untrustworthy, and lose if you get them wrong. For every correct selection, you will get +1 point and for every incorrect -1 point. For the top scorers, which will be announced the week after, the University of Nicosia has prepared a range of very attractive prizes.
In case of any tie, the winner will be the one who had the lowest average response time in their correct answers. The response time is the time difference from when one of the 20 posts was made by the researchers to the time that the participant correctly selected “I trust this” or “I don’t trust this”.
Some advice you may want to use, not only for this competition, but more widely in social media:
- Be wary of popular posts. Misinformation travels a lot faster than reliable information
- Be cautious of information forwarded to you through your network
- Refrain from sharing based only on headline
- Be wary of resharing information solely for its high novelty. Misinformation tends to be more novel.
- Be wary of language that is making you feel emotional. It is designed to become viral, not to inform.
- Be mindful of your emotions when reading a post. Anger makes you susceptible to partisanship.
Note that this is an early experimental version of EUNOMIA. It will be slow and the “I trust this” buttons and other EUNOMIA functionality may not appear immediately. Bare with it please for a few moments 🙂
You can find further info on UNIC’s programs here
The Decentralized site can be found here